The world around us is experiencing significant change, the greatest in generations.
At McLaren Applied, we’re accelerating the response to that change. Our vision is that our people and technologies will pioneer a better future. Our mission is to achieve breakthroughs in performance.
We’re at the cutting edge of innovation in industries including automotive transportation and motorsport. We create solutions that drive efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
We want to help to reduce the carbon footprint and become more sustainable. Our focus is on electrification and telemetry, control and analytics.
To deliver efficient lightweight electric powertrain and vehicle development; motorsport solutions that make series more sustainable and efficient; reliable connectivity solutions for transportation and insightful analytics and monitoring of transport fleets.
By applying our expertise, we deliver real benefits and pioneer a better future.
What you'll be doing
You'll support Mechanical Engineering design development on projects in the field of electric micromobility. Our Mechanical Engineering team has an open and inquisitive mindset, eager to explore and solve tough engineering challenges. We deliver data-led solutions and have the capability to provide input across all of McLaren Applied’s hardware engineering programmes.
Our multi-skilled team applies world-leading engineering tools, techniques and processes to the creation of novel concepts, detailed design and verification through to production delivery.
Value comes from several of our key strengths, including: mechanical analysis simulation and optimisation; advanced 3D modelling; application of high-performance materials; prototyping and performance validation testing; and design for production.
As a small, highly effective and agile team, we work closely with other Engineering functions, Chief Engineers, Product Management and Operations teams. We pride ourselves on our collaboration across the company and wider business and our strong working relationships with external customers.
A typical work week would include:
- Mechanical engineering design and development in electric micromobility, initially on a single project.
- Scheme concept design and creation of 3D detailed design models in Siemens NX, sharing these with the Mechanical Engineering lead, Technical lead and project team.
- Confidently analyse and overcome mechanical engineering design problems with feasible and innovative solutions.
- Operating within a multi-disciplinary team, flexing your involvement beyond your familiar areas of expertise.
- Anticipating any issues which might affect delivery progress and proactively address these, escalating for support if required.
- Communicating with key stakeholders at all levels of our business, customer organisations and supply partners;
- Share and articulate complex mechanical designs and concepts with peers and non-engineering colleagues, such that others can easily understand, build and evolve your ideas collaboratively.
- Write project proposals, technical requirements and specifications, and other documentation to a high standard.
- Produce and confidently deliver impactful engineering presentations to internal and external audiences.
- Identifying and undertaking learning and development opportunities and actively manage a continuous professional development plan.
- Provide input into team strategy discussions, taking a shared responsibility for the team’s growth, capability development, and external image. Help to continually improve our team’s processes and enhancements to our toolsets.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- BEng or MEng Mechanical Engineering degree, or similarly related degree, or equivalent relevant industry experience.
- Experience of working on the mechanical design of light electric vehicles, ideally within the micromobility sector.
- Engineering involvement across a product’s design lifecycle including: early concept development; detailed engineering design; prototyping and testing designs ready for manufacture; liaising with manufacturing partners and the supply chain, acting as design authority.
- Excellent mechanical engineering foundation, with the ability to solve problems from first principles and hand calculations.
- Demonstrable experience of applying a data-led engineering approach to iterate designs, with an appreciation of computational analysis methods such as FEA and thermal analysis.
- Proficient with parametric 3D CAD modelling tools for both solid and surface modelling, ideally using Siemens NX.
- Familiar with applying drawing standards to create and check detailed part and assembly drawings. Experience of creating parts and managing bill of materials in MRP systems and/or Enterprise PLM systems such as Siemens Teamcenter would be an advantage.
- Competent at collecting and interpreting complex physical test data to quickly inform engineering decisions and design directions.
- Knowledge of commonly used metallic, plastic and composite engineering materials. Experience of making material selections balancing competing factors such as cost, manufacturing constraints, design intent and aesthetics.
- Knowledge and experience of applying DfM and DfA principles, with a good understanding of manufacturing technologies and processes such as CNC milling, turning, casting, sheet metal, moulding and additive manufacture rapid prototyping.
- Appreciation of company brand value and consistently working to high design standards.
McLaren Applied are committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) and promote DEI in all we do.